Friday, March 24, 2006

Sleep?

He is one month old today.. and I am tired, he is finally starting to go for 3 hour stretches between feeding in the day (after a 10-day long feeding frenzy where he was nursing every 2 hours... He gained 14 ounces in 8 days but very much at my expense!) but he is not sleeping much at night.. 2 hours, then 30-40 minute stretches. I keep waking up, not certain whether I even put him down between feedings, totally exhausted. The last two mornings his grandparents took him in bed with them and I got an extra essential hour.

for two days I felt truly desperate and hate-full at 5 a.m., while the world slumbered round, but I am now managing my mood better - just tired and not talkative, but no longer depressed/teary/angry..

Martin is going to help me on the weekend, normally he sleeps elsewhere as he has to work, and he is in any case very tired - he, not having the training of being a former insomniac like me, is exhausted just by having broken sleep, I think he is almost as tired after getting 8 hours, with 2 or 3 brief wakings, as I am by the same 8 hours, with 4 up feeding the boy.. We are going to try to see if Jack sleeps better with Martin, and no me (breasts) around.. worth a try. Fortunately he is a lovely boy so he gets away with it, but this is frustrating. I keep reminding myself we have done one month already, and things are getting more normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home