to blog or not to blog, that was the question
I was biking here today thinking about my blog, and liking the anonymity of it all, and then wondering why I bothered to have it all, given that I had told no one about it, not even the beau or oldest friends... I decided it was like a journal but a lot tidier than my own horrible handwriting, and cooler looking than a Word file, and there was always the chance that someone unknown to me would stumble across it and like it.. I admit that I wanted the stumbler to be the type of person who would be likely to like it, not a person who would find me to be a self-indulgent, self-centred bad-mother-in-the-making. I also liked the idea that because the site may be read I have to edit myself a bit more, be less sloppy on the style, be less bitchy, be less likely to type Things I Will Regret.
Then, however, I got in and realized I had outed myself by posting to Pamusement and thus leaving an easy e-trail back to myself.. (really I know nothing about blogs, e-trails and all that stuff)when I started this whole shebang it was because I wanted to post to Hadeel's site, but couldn't seem to do it anonymously (again another obvious admission of computer incompetence).. Anyhow, I'm out, I've outed myself as a blogger, wow I feel all nekked and all..
That said, it was fun to get comments from my buddies, glamorous, active, activist women of the NCR, thanks to youse all.. and no Accidental Altruist you are not guilty at all of proferring unsought advice (although I have sought advice from you.. a totally different thing..) P.S. Hadeel I heard your voice on CBC this morning!

2 Comments:
yay! i'm glad you were listening this morning. if it makes you feel any better i have NO idea who you are and you never need to out yourself to me ;)
it was really my fault you couldn't anonymously post on my blog - I accidentally hadn't set it up so that anyone could post. I've since changed that... but hey maybe it was fate - you were meant to blog!
cheers,
hadeel
your reflections on why you thought you might enjoy blogging ring true for me too. that's sorta how i felt when i started mine. it was a 'me' place, a wee writing experiment. there's something pretty neat about lifting one's journal-ish musings off the private pages of a notebook and onto the most public place ever, knowing that maybe no one will ever see it, but writing as if someone actually might.
my outing was an bloody obvious one -- i wound up circulating the url as a place for friends to get the daily scoop on my experiences while working on the us election last year. i never expected people to keep following, but i came to understand that many did, still do, and that it even grows.
i'm here to assure you that after the initial shock of realizing you have regular readers wears off, the experience really does return to a rather private one. oddly discomforting and comforting at the same time. don't stop.
Post a Comment
<< Home